Make xy event layer issues 10.1

07-24-2013 05:03 AM
KevinGledhill
New Contributor
I have a table with some lat/long values, and am simply trying to create an xy event layer from them.  No matter what I do (format, projections, etc) they points will not create in the correct lat/long location.  I believe it's a 10.1 issue, and maybe bug, since I sent the data to a friend with 10.0 and he had no trouble what so ever.  I even followed his exact steps. 

Are there known issues with the xy event tool in 10.1?  Or any suggestions/pre processing I could do to make this work? 

Thanks,

Kevin
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Kevin,

Can you upload the table you are working with, or post a sample?
0 Kudos
BruceLang
Occasional Contributor III

Having the same problem at a fully patched ArcGIS 10.2.2 Standard w/64bit background geoprocessing on Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

The attached image displays a point "Identify."  Notice the Lat_DD and Lon_DD attributes (used to create the points) do not match the "Location" values.

The attached File Geodatabase (zipped into a single file) contains two tables:

• GCP_Table - Used the Lat_DD and Lon_DD fields to create the XY layer.
  • CreatedByMakeXY - Notice the XY Coordinate system is set to what I used to create the event layer

BTW - Same results using ArcGIS 10.0

Is this enough information?  Thank you

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Bruce,

I didn't see an attachment.  Can you try uploading it again?

0 Kudos
BruceLang

Resend attachments...

The attached image displays a point "Identify."  Notice the Lat_DD and Lon_DD attributes (used to create the points) do not match the "Location" values.

The attached File Geodatabase (zipped into a single file) contains two tables:

• GCP_Table - Used the Lat_DD and Lon_DD fields to create the XY layer.
  • CreatedByMakeXY - Notice the XY Coordinate system is set to what I used to create the event layer
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Still no attachments.  Try starting a new thread and then uploading your zip file.

0 Kudos
BruceLang

The attachments are there and are downloadable from my message(s).

Maybe site privileges or some other geonet settings are not allowing you to seem them.  I'm checking into that possibility.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Bruce,

XYEventProperties.jpg

The properties page of your layer indicates that you created the points using state plane (feet), NOT degrees decimal.

I think that might be a bit of a problem.

When you load a table into make XY events, you have to specify the correct XY columns & what the numbers in those columns represent, ie the correct coordinate system.

Neil

0 Kudos
BruceLang

Choosing "WGS 1984" (as given by Jake Skinner) from "Geographic Coordinate Systems/World" seems to have corrected the problem.  The points are now in the proper locations.

The information below was given for the points, so I assumed they should be created using the "projection"

• Coordinate System: US State Plane 1983 (US survey feet)
  • Datum:  NAD 83(NA2011)
  • Zone: Illinois West 1202
  • Geoid:  GEOID12A (Conus)
  • Vertical Datum: NAVD88

So, from the information given, what told you I should use WGS 1984?  My guess is because Lat/Long values were used indicating "world coordinates"!?!

Thank you Jake and Neil

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, since the lat/long values were in the format they were in.  State Plane coordinates would be a 6 digit and 7 digit coordinate.  Ex:  237219.09, 2693160.81

0 Kudos