Make XY Event Layer available in WebApp Builder

08-25-2017 06:00 AM
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to provide my users with a tool that will let them upload .xls and/or .csv files containing xy coordinate data from their systems (desktop, network drive, thumb drive, etc), perform a process and map the result as a point layer. Please view the attached pdf which illustrates what I have tried and failed at (i.e. creating a geoprocessing tool and publishing as a service). I am definitely doing something wrong. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Note: This tool will be incorporated into Portal for ArcGIS WebApp Builder. I am aware that coordinates can be mapped in Portal for ArcGIS, however it only accepts lat/long. We work with UTM and I will not want to pass the headache of always converting to lat/long before mapping to my users or take on the burden myself.

I look forward to any help.

Lara

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Omolara,

If you are working with CSV files, take a look at the Add Data widget:

Add Data widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Jake. I have looked into the Add Data Widget. It has the limitation of accepting only lat/long. I need something that will accept UTM.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Here is a modelI was able to get to work with a CSV file.  I simply added the Make XY Event Layer tool to model builder and set parameters for input, X & Y fields, and output.  I set the spatial reference to the coordinate system of my choice.

I then published this to ArcGIS Server as a Geoprocessing service.  I made sure to check 'Uploads' for the Capabilities so that the end user can upload a CSV file:

I could then successfully configure and execute this in Portal:

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

I did it!!!

Thanks so much Jake. Much appreciated.

I have another problem now. Everything worked as it should but in a list of 23 xy coordinates, only the first one was plotted. Can you tell where I missed it? I've checked over and over, don't know what I've done wrong.

Save

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Can you upload the CSV file you are using to GeoNET for me to take a look?

0 Kudos
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Ok.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

LAMATAEnterpriseGIS‌ what coordinate system are you using?

0 Kudos
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Projected Coordinate System:    WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_31N

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Omolara, I would recommend logging a case with support.  I tried plotting this CSV file you sent and it displays all the points in correctly within the Web AppBuilder Application (Portal 10.5.1):

What's strange is that the GP tool is working correctly in ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1.

0 Kudos