Make Query Table error-- tool cannot find input table

5098
4
06-28-2014 04:18 AM
SusanGale
New Contributor
I am trying to do a many-to-many join between a polygon feature class (PLSSsections) and table (useData) in ArcGIS 10.2.1. Both are stored in a file geodatabase and both contain a field (mtrs1) that I am using as my join field.   

I've found that the Make Query Table tool accomplishes the many-to-many join when I run the tool on my personal laptop with ArcGIS 10.1. However, when I run it on my work computer using ArcGIS 10.2.1, I get the following error: "ERROR 999999: Error executing function. An expected Field was not found or could not be retrieved properly. [udc] An expected Field was not found or could not be retrieved properly. [useData.mtrs1] Failed to execute (MakeQueryTable)"

I'm attaching a screenshot of how I've set up the tool, though I've tried modifying the inputs as many ways as I can think of and I still have had no luck.

Yes, I could just do this on my personal computer, but the goal was to develop and document a workflow that co-workers could follow so they can do this themselves as needed. I would hate step #1 to be: "Use a computer other than the one you have been given at work." 😉

Any ideas on why this fails? Or are there other suggestions for doing a many-to-many join?

Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MiguelFraga
New Contributor

Susan, try removing " (quotation marks) from your query.

Despite ArGis Query Builder uses those quotations marks, and there seems to be no problem verifying the expression using them, when working with File geodatabases file names need not quotations ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

I kept receiving the same error message as you from ArcMap 10.2.1 (despite not from previous versions of ArcMap), and eventually worked it out by removing quotation marks...

Best of luck!

JustinRobinson
New Contributor III

I can confirm that this is indeed the case. Had the same problem.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

Had the same issue. Originally I had my data in SDE and even if I removed the quotation marks it didn't work for me. When I moved my data to a FGDB and removed the quotation marks it did work.

dylanweakley
New Contributor

This did the trick for me with the exact same problem, thank you very much, Miguel! 

0 Kudos