maintain Global_ID while Intersection?

Jump to solution
04-05-2017 03:04 AM
JonathanReger
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a Problem: Is there a way to maintain the Global_ID of one Feature-class when doing an intersection with an other Feature-class (with no Global_id)? I Need the global_id to match the Feature Class with attachments.

Greetings,

Jonathan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As I mentioned, you could simply copy your guid to another field and re-establish the relationship there.  That field will be persistent, regardless of your geoprocessing.  An alternative would be to create a completely new join field.  For example, in most of my data I will add a field called JoinID and calc it to equal the OID of the original feature.  That Joinid becomes key field and regardless of any geoprocessing or copying to other geodatabases, it will remain persistent and because it's base on the oid, it's always unique.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

9 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I think you will have to clarify your problem a little.

Are you talking about a GUID? What exactly are you doing and what are you trying to achieve?

Arc version, db type etc etc

0 Kudos
JonathanReger
New Contributor

My Problem is more General and maybe has nothing to to with an global_ID:

I have worked with Survey123 and have takken photos to spezific objects. I've exported those photos via "https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/03/22/working-with-your-survey123-photos" to work with them via attachments. Now i want to intersect the Information and photos of an object, wich i've recorded via survey123, with already existing informations of this object. The Primary-Key between these two feature-Clases is the adress.

By intersecting these two classes, there's no problem for all attributes but the photos. because with the new Intersection-class i've none relation to the Attachments of the photos. So i basically need a way to access the pictures after intersecting the two classes...

Finally i want to display all informations and Pictures of the objects via map series in ArcGIS-Pro via dynamic text and dynamic Pictures. If there would be an Option to display dynamic text and photos from more than just one feature-class, there would be no problem. Cause then i would display the text from the one and the photos from the other corresponding feature-class. But i think it's not possible.

Perhaps the problem is now somewhat clearer.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You might try adding a text field and then calcing it to equal the original guid before your geoprocessing.  Personally, I don't like to use guids for anything but what they are intended fore; replication.  If you need to maintain a unique identifier there are more suitable methods.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm lost;  you say:

The Primary-Key between these two feature-Clases is the adress.  

followed by:

because with the new Intersection-class i've none relation to the Attachments of the photos

So what it is?  Do you have a relationship between the original between the original feature class and your photos?  Where does the use of guid come into play?

0 Kudos
JonathanReger
New Contributor

The photos are related to the featureclass via an Global_Id, but when doing intersection the global_id does not maintain in the new created class.

0 Kudos
JonathanReger
New Contributor

And without the global_id, i have no Access to the Attachment-table of the photos

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As I mentioned, you could simply copy your guid to another field and re-establish the relationship there.  That field will be persistent, regardless of your geoprocessing.  An alternative would be to create a completely new join field.  For example, in most of my data I will add a field called JoinID and calc it to equal the OID of the original feature.  That Joinid becomes key field and regardless of any geoprocessing or copying to other geodatabases, it will remain persistent and because it's base on the oid, it's always unique.

JonathanReger
New Contributor

Ok, Is there an automatic way to copy the field attributes from one to another table by using an tool wich is compatible to the modelbuilder? or is there only the way via the Editor?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not sure I follow your question. There is the append tool that provides a mechanism with which to map fields of one table to another.  If you are creating a an empty table you can import the schema of an existing table into your new one.

0 Kudos