Locate Features Along Routes for Lines not working?

Jump to solution
11-14-2014 01:13 PM
TimDine
Occasional Contributor II

I'm attempting to convert some line data about pavement condition to dynamic segmentation events.  I have my routes created and I have lines for the pavement condition.  I believe I have the routes setup correctly because I can run the "Locate Features Along Routes" tool for a number of point layers without any trouble.  I get my events perfectly.  I can also take a polygon feature class and get line events perfectly.  I can't get lines to create line events.

I can buffer my pavement data and convert that to line events, but I get extra bits at the end of the buffers that I don't want.  I can run the tool succesfully on any empty line feature class.  I can take my pavement condition FC, delete all the features, and the tool runs successfully and an empty event table is created.  If there is a single line anywhere in the source FC the tool bombs with a "Table not found" error, no event table is created.

Is there something wonky with this tool?  Is there an alternative?  Can anyone else confirm that the tool works for them?

I'm using ArcGIS 10.2.1 without any SP.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I use the Feature Vertices to Points tool on all lines with the Ends option and then Use Locate Feature Along Routes with those points.  Since the points may intersect more than one Route, I use an attribute from the Pavement Management data to select the point event RouteIDs that made sense for each line segment.  Then I use the Summary Statistics tool to use the original line FID associated with the points as the Unique Case field and get the Route and Min and Max measure, which reproduce the lines.  This solves issues created by true curves in Geodatabase Routes that I have.  So even with line segments, I never use the lines themselves to apply the Locate Features Along Routes, and I like the results I get from end points far better, since I do consider line on line tools wonky for the reasons you mentioned.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I use the Feature Vertices to Points tool on all lines with the Ends option and then Use Locate Feature Along Routes with those points.  Since the points may intersect more than one Route, I use an attribute from the Pavement Management data to select the point event RouteIDs that made sense for each line segment.  Then I use the Summary Statistics tool to use the original line FID associated with the points as the Unique Case field and get the Route and Min and Max measure, which reproduce the lines.  This solves issues created by true curves in Geodatabase Routes that I have.  So even with line segments, I never use the lines themselves to apply the Locate Features Along Routes, and I like the results I get from end points far better, since I do consider line on line tools wonky for the reasons you mentioned.

TimDine

That looks great.  I'm going to give that a shot.  It took rereading the Summary Statistics step to get what was happening there, but that is a slick work around!

This is being used as part of a data cleanup and migration task.  The only catch I see is the possibility that we're going to modify some of the routes in GIS and they'll be different than the line segments coming from Pavement Management.  I may need to split the Pavement Management lines with the endpoints of the new routes before creating events so that the PM lines each only land on one route.  I should be able to do that with the same verticies to points tool after dissolving my new routes.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
TimDine

Curves

Curves were the issue.  If I create a copy of the source of the feature class and densify the curves into straight segments, locate features along those routes, then transfer the event table to routes built from the FC with curves still in it I`m good.

Curves seem to be supported fine by linear referencing, they are not supported by the locate features along routes tool.

0 Kudos