Joining polylines with same attributes

02-21-2012 05:26 AM
SebastianFox
New Contributor
All,
I???m finding it hard to do what seems like a simple instruction in ArcMap 10.
I have a layer of polylines, and essentially I want to dissolve them according to one of their attributes (say colour). For example, I want all the polylines that are brown to become one layer, all the red ones to become one layer etc., but I only want this to occur for the polylines that are touching. The dissolve tool allows me to do this where two lines share a vertex, but not if the vertex of one line is on top of the ???middle part??? of another line.

The next catch is that I also want one of the attribute fields which contains integers to be summed for each of the initial polylines to produce a sum in the new record. Eg, 5 of the brown lines have a value of 2, I want the final single line to have a value of 10.
I have 15,000 records so it is not something I want to do one by one.

One way I???ve thought of doing it is creating a vertex at every intersecting point somehow, and then using the dissolve tool. The other hints I???ve got from other forums is to use the Linear Referencing Toolbox, but I???m not too sure how to do this.

Does anyone have any advice? It would be very welcome.
Many thanks,
Seb
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Try the Integrate tool -- it will create a vertex where lines intersect.
0 Kudos
SebastianFox
New Contributor
Try the Integrate tool -- it will create a vertex where lines intersect.

Thanks Dale. I've not used that tool before - so it's a good comment.
I realised that my description of the problem wasn't great as it didn't really give the whole picture of what I was trying to do.
I managed to solve it though by dissolving the lines into one layer for each attribute of interest, then exploding them using the Multipart to Singlepart tool - then doing a spatial join of the data I wanted summed. That was the missing bit of information that I didn't give, I should have said that the data I wanted summed varied spatially.

Either way, thank you for taking your time to reply to my question.
All the best.
0 Kudos