Join 2 polygon

08-14-2013 11:04 AM
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
I have a Parcel polygon Feature Class.
I also have a Project Polygon

There are numerous Parcels inside an individual project boundary.
I want to grab all the attributes of the Project Polygon and place then in each Parcel Record

A spatial join does not really accomplish this...any thoughts on how to do this?
Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
I did a UNION I think that worked.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have a Parcel polygon Feature Class.
I also have a Project Polygon

There are numerous Parcels inside an individual project boundary.
I want to grab all the attributes of the Project Polygon and place then in each Parcel Record

A spatial join does not really accomplish this...any thoughts on how to do this?
Thanks

A Spatial Join does accomplish what you have described in a new feature class if Parcels are the Target and Projects are the Join features.  All of the attributes of both will be combined.  How does it not do what you want?  Are there multiple projects per Parcel?
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
might have spoke too soon...that sort of worked...but I only want the records that are in the Parcels effected.
I have to run this on 3 different project boundaries as well, resulting in a few fields
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I did a UNION I think that worked.

Union would work if you wanted the boundaries that intersect between the parcels and projects to define new polygons.  A parcel could be cut up into several project polygons (or no project polygon).  However, you did not say you wanted any new parcel shapes.

Use the Keep all Target Features option with the Spatial Join where the parcels are the Target feature.  If there are multiple projects connected to a parcel and you don't want summary data from the projects, use the One to Many option.  In that case overlapping projects will create multiple copies of the parcel, one for each project.  Use the Keep all Attributes of the Join Table option.  A Pivot Table could convert the rows into columns, but that requires an Advanced license.

Do you have 3 feature classes/shapefiles or 3 project features in a single feature class?
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
dont know if there is a better way....but ran a union and then joined the result back to original Parcels feature...seems to work...
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor

Do you have 3 feature classes/shapefiles or 3 project features in a single feature class?

Yea I dont want any new polygons....only the parcels I want effected..

Thanks for your response....I have 1 Parcel Shapefile and 3 Project Boundary files....so I ultimately want 3 added fields in Parcel shapefile with the value from each of the 3 project boundaries...
each parcel will have the resulting Project Number from each of the Project Boundary shapefiles...(Say sanitary, water, storm project numbers.)
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
rfairhur24 your suggestion worked great.....thanks
0 Kudos