Is there a way to calculate the percent of a polygon that has another polygon overlapping?

Jump to solution
10-05-2021 12:40 PM
NonieCastro1
New Contributor II

Is there a tool that will tell me what percent of the polygon outlined in the image, the one with the blue cross hatches, covers the red  hatched polygon? Note - I need to do this with many polygons, not just one. This set has 100 polygons in it, I need an result for each of those, what percent of that is covered in the red? 

Screenshot.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes exactly.  You can either summarize the table with something like Summarize Attributes (GeoAnalytics)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or if you want to be sure of your results, you could merge the red polygon into a single polygon and re-run the analysis (NB I've not checked before if multipart polygons will work with the tool, so something to test first would say)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
NonieCastro1
New Contributor II

Thank you! I'll try it now. 

0 Kudos
NonieCastro1
New Contributor II

So - tell me if I'm understanding this correctly - the table below gives me the percentage of each of the objects that cover the highlighted polygon in the image, and if I want to know the total of that polygon that is covered by the tracts, I would add up the percentage column? 

TabulateIntersection.JPG

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes exactly.  You can either summarize the table with something like Summarize Attributes (GeoAnalytics)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or if you want to be sure of your results, you could merge the red polygon into a single polygon and re-run the analysis (NB I've not checked before if multipart polygons will work with the tool, so something to test first would say)

NonieCastro1
New Contributor II

This is wonderful! Thank you!

0 Kudos