Intersect tool running forever. Problem?

11-16-2016 07:33 AM
VincentDemay
New Contributor II

I am trying to intersect 420k lines with 25 lines, but the intersect tool takes forever (over 17 hours). I wonder if it will succeed doing so and I really think ArcGIS is actually stalling. Is there a way to make sure ArcGIS is still running correctly? And why is it taking so long in the first place?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you running it in arcgis desktop or Catalog? It will run a lot faster in Catalog.

You could open arc Catalog and click on the new layer and see how many feature are in it. 

VincentDemay
New Contributor II

I am trying using ArcCatalog now. I couldn’t see the new layer showing up in the directory (even though it has been created), so I don’t know how to see how many features are in it.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you check the geoprocessing results window for details

Think Location
0 Kudos
VincentDemay
New Contributor II

Yes, I disabled it and I am now running in Catalog. It still looks like it is stuck at Processing Step 3 out of 16.

Results are showing “Assembling Features…”

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For a feature class with 420k lines, I would keep a little patience. Also I would work on a File GDB or Enterprise GDB, since Shapefile/Personal GDB has memory limitation of < 2 GB.

Think Location
VincentDemay
New Contributor II

It clipped that feature and reduced it to 39k.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you check Geoprocessing Results Window for details? Did you notice any issue in the result description?

Were any features (If you are using ArcMap) selected when you ran the tool? If yes, make sure you clear selection before running the tool.

Think Location
0 Kudos
VincentDemay
New Contributor II

No error or warning message in the results window. No features were selected when I started running Intersect in ArcCatalog.

I am running out of idea. I will wait 1-2 hours to see if it is going to do something.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Then maybe you could raise a ticket with Esri Technical Support. They can have a look at the dataset/geoprocessing environment and guide you appropriately.

Think Location
0 Kudos