how to use create space time cube tool

11-21-2016 12:13 PM
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Hi, I am using the "Space Time Cube" tool, and get the below error message. I wonder would anyone know and place help with this problem.

Thanks!

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that output location is really 'difficult'... why don't you try a simpler, like in c:\test  Try to avoid the Users... folder, folders with spaces and certainly the desktop.  Also if this is the second time that you tried it,the error may indicate that the file already exists and clicking on the X will reveal more details.

0 Kudos
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Thanks, Dan. That works. But now the problem becomes that when I tried to select a time field, it does not show any option for me to click.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well that probably means that you don't have a field with a 'Date' type.Perhaps you need to go through the production procedure to ensure that you have the data structured properly.  The format is quite specific and sometimes people assume that the STC will apply to their data when in fact, it doesn't.

Create Space Time Cube—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Good luck

Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

I have year, month, and date information coded in separate column...I checked the required time field info, but not clear whether or not I need to have year/month/date in the same column?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I suspect they are string/text fields and not a proper Date field... chec the column properties

0 Kudos
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Thanks, Dan. I just checked: it is a double. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The field containing the date and time (timestamp) for each point. This field must be of type Date.

from the link I sent... so you now have to create a proper Date from what you have...  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is it you are trying to do by the way?  If you want to work with n-dimensional data, then this isn't the only option, I work with it all the time, using NumPy, SciPy and their brethren.  May not have the cool graphics, but you can emulate just about anything you want with those and matplotlib or other graphics interfaces.  This can all be accomplished and accompanied with ArcMap and/or Pro.  I have blogged about NumPy and array data in general extensively.

0 Kudos
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, thank you. Yes, I am working on a n-dimensional data, including country and location (i.e., latitude/longitude) where each conflict event occurred as well as time (year, month, and date) each event happened. What I would like to do is to run the emerging hot spot tool for my conflict data. To do that, I have to implement the "create space time cube" tool. 

So, in my case, would you suggest me to try other options (you mentioned above) or stick with the ArcGIS?

Again, thank you.

0 Kudos