Import symbology from .lyr file not working?

09-08-2011 02:06 PM
BamJam
by
New Contributor III
I have created a model that selects attributes from an SDE layer and exports the selection to a .shp file.  I have set it to import the symbology from an existing .lyr file but it does not work.  When I go into the model to check the symbology import settings, its gone.  In fact, if I change this to the path of my .lyr file, save, close and then reopen, the settings are dropped.  The .shp file does get created, but not with the symbology from the .lyr file.  This seems like a fairly simple task, but I can't seem to get it working. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Brandon Jameson
GIS Analyst
ONEOK, Inc.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
How are you exporting the selection to a shapefile? Copy Features tool?
Are you setting the symbology by right ricking the output (green oval) and from Properties> Layer Symbology tab?

Are you using 10? Service Pack?
0 Kudos
BamJam
by
New Contributor III
Yes and yes.  I am using the copy features tool and right clicking on the output layer oval, selecting properties, layer symbology tab and then browsing to the .lyr file that I want it to use for symbology.  I am using 9.2 ArcInfo license.
0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
I am sure you have made sure but just in case..
Hope you are applying the point symbology .lyr file to the point feature classes and polygon .lyr to polygon feature classes and kine  .lyr to line feature classes.
0 Kudos
BamJam
by
New Contributor III
I'm not sure if there is more to it than meets the eye...  I only have one .lyr file that I'm trying to use to import symbology from.  I created the .lyr file (with the appropriate symbology) by exporting from the same SDE layer that the .shp file is exported from.  So, I'm assuming that there can be no confusion as to whether I'm using the correct feature type (line) in the .lyr file.  Is there more to this?  Does it matter how many records there are in the .lyr file vs. the .shp file?
0 Kudos