Identical values in a field

04-12-2013 12:33 PM
JerrySmart
New Contributor
I have multiple identical values within a field in an attribute table and would like to delete them.  I am using ArcEditor version 10, sp5.  I tried to use the Delete Identical tool in Python but get the "you are not licensed for this tool" message.  there must be another way to accomplish this that I am not aware of.  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

The Delete Identical Tool is only available at the ArcInfo license level which is why you are getting that message. Do you want to delete the features or just the values in the attribute table? Do you want all identical values to be deleted or to only delete one of them?

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
JerrySmart
New Contributor
Hello,

The Delete Identical Tool is only available at the ArcInfo license level which is why you are getting that message. Do you want to delete the features or just the values in the attribute table? Do you want all identical values to be deleted or to only delete one of them?

Best,
Melanie S.

I would like to delete all but one of the duplicate features and values.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi,

Do you care which one is deleted?

Melanie S.
0 Kudos
JerrySmart
New Contributor
Mostly, no, but there are a few that could be a problem.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hello,

Attached in a python script that will select all duplicate records. This will at least ID which ones you need to go through, I would not suggest automating the deleting process as you are not sure which one needs to be deleted.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
JerrySmart
New Contributor
Thank you very much for your help.
0 Kudos