How to validate a model in Modelbuilder

03-18-2021 04:00 AM
CharlieGroenewegen
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm trying to validate my model in modelbuilder, but I don't exactly know which method is usefull for my situation. I've made a sutiability analysis based on certain criteria and I need to validate certain data sets of my model. I was told that computing a simple-square solution should be sufficient but I'm not certain on how to execute this.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Kind regards,

Charlie

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

More details on the inputs and desired outputs would help. What is the structure of your model (Screenshot)?

Model Builder > Run > Validate checks to ensure that the data exists, is valid for use with a tool, and that all tool parameter settings are correctly specified.

Validate a Model 

Think Location
CharlieGroenewegen
New Contributor II

CharlieGroenewegen_0-1616068765865.png

This is what 1 model looks like. 

I want to do a suitability analysis on the best places to place  hydrogen system in three scenarios, Solar / wind / Solar&wind, based on certain criteria; Solar irradiation, windspeeds mean, population density and slope. These criteria all have classifications ranging from 1-6 , meaning 1 is bad and 6 is really good. So for example, mean windspeeds from 1-3 m/s are category 1 and 11-15 m/s are category 6.
The desired output is a heatmap per scenario which shows areas above 500km2 with the best and worst combinations of the criteria, ranging from red(low score) to dark green (high score).

CharlieGroenewegen_6-1616069497807.png

The inputs are: 

CharlieGroenewegen_1-1616068823013.pngCharlieGroenewegen_2-1616068836554.pngCharlieGroenewegen_3-1616068852817.png

The first one is solar data which is reclassified and then extracted for certain countries.
The second one is population denisty which is resampled, reclassified and extracted for the same countries as for the solar data.
The third one is the slope data for those same countries as for the others data sets. 

These are all put together into a weighted sum and then a raster calculator has been performed to generate certain classes on the weight scale eg., 1-2 & 2-3 & 3-4 etc.

CharlieGroenewegen_4-1616069052429.png

After that the data is crossed with a "restricted area" map and the polygons gotten from the final maps are then selected for only areas which are above 500km2.

CharlieGroenewegen_5-1616069114396.png

Does this help?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you give an example or a reference to what you refer?

Are you using

What is the Suitability Modeler?—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
CharlieGroenewegen
New Contributor II

Please see reaction to reply above for information on my model. It's indeed a suitability analysis in modelbuilder.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

then I am not sure what you mean by "validate".  To me that means that it is useful in summarizing existing conditions and/or observations and you are trying to apply the model to other places based on the outcomes of the test area

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CharlieGroenewegen
New Contributor II

This is what I mean with validation:

How to know if my implementation is correct?
In order to validate the function, I use a square with coordinates (0, 0), (0, 1), (1, 1), and (1,0) as input.
Because the input is simple, I am able to manually compute the area, which is 1.
Then I also output the area computed by the implemented function.
If the manually computed result and the result obtained by the function are the same,
then I know that the function works for the simple square at least;
otherwise, the implementation must be wrong.

But I don't know how to do this in ModelBuilder.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

the only thing that comes remotely close is

Calculate Value (ModelBuilder)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

which would require that it collects input values derived from an "extent" of some kind

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos