How to split multiple rectangle polygons evenly?

11-02-2016 02:04 PM
KeithSoRelle
New Contributor II

I am trying to create 10x10 grids inside of a pre-existing rectangular grid . The starting grid is regularly used by the police, so I can not just create a new grid of the extent from scratch to start from. Unfortunately the rectangle dimensions of the starting grid vary very slightly.

I have tried matching up with the "grid index features" tool, I have also tried using the data reviewer- "create polygon grid wizard". The data reviewer kind of worked but left a ton of overlap everywhere. I have thought about putting the layer into a parcel fabric, but the split polygon tool looks like it only works on one polygon at a time.

I am totally open to thoughts. Maybe there is a good script out there or a tool that I am just missing. I have read through several Geonet posts and not found a good solution. Any comments are welcome!

Thanks,

-Keith  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
KeithSoRelle
New Contributor II

I've looked at this tool. It is the equivalent of the Creating grid index features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop without building it in a grid format. This would work if my grid was existing grid was perfectly uniform and I could match it up with the newly created grid. Unfortunately i need something that builds off of the existing polygon layer.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

search geonet using "split polygons"... lots of suggested methods, for example

https://community.esri.com/message/641074-how-to-split-a-polygon-into-strips-with-equal-width 

0 Kudos