How to set the output coordinate system of Project tool in a model to another feature class input

02-09-2017 12:43 PM
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III

I have a model builder model.

For the model to run correctly all the inputs have to be in the same coordinate system.  The first thing I want to do is project all feature classes to the same projection as one of the inputs.  How to I make the coordinate system of on parameter the input to the project tool?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It should be exposed as a parameter in the project tool ... have you looked at that within the model?

0 Kudos
AlexanderGray

If I make a model parameter the user can change it.  I want it to match one of the other parameters.  The reason is I am getting problems with clip where the two feature classes have different projections, the clip is way off (100+m)  If I project one or the other of the inputs to clip it works.  So I want to project the clip features to the projection of the clipper features.  I don't want users touching this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok... It gets messy I presume in modelbuilder.  If you already have the feature class and/or know the projection you want, then you could presumably, derive it from the clip layer,  within the Project tool

0 Kudos
AlexanderGray

Yes I can do it in a python script but in model builder not really...   I think.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Project all feature classes is your only propose of the model, or it is part of model?

0 Kudos
AlexanderGray

No project is a means to an end which is convert features to polygons.  The problem arises with the clip with featureclasses of different projections.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Are all feature classes in one geodatabase?

0 Kudos