How to select lines that do not intersect a polygon

10-09-2018 07:00 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I am able to find all the lines that intersect a polygon layer (property layer) and create a new line layer with the Intersected lines using ArcTools --> Analysis tools --> Overlay --> Intersect

Is there a way to create a new line layer that shows lines that do not intersect the property layer?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Select the lines that do intersect a polygon... then switch the selection in the table

JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

I need to find a way to "Clip" the lines and only select the segment that do not intersect. This way  can calculate the feet or miles for a whole area that intersect and do not intersect.

A line can start outside a property and cross one or several properties. This is the case of a lateral pipe that starts in the middle of the street and then goes inside the property.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

picture would help... but in any event, if you want to 'split' lines, then there is this

Split—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

once the splitting is done you can move on to the selection, probably select by location.  If a polygon converted to a polyline represents the splitting line, it will split the lateral pipes into pieces, then you use the polygon to select those that are within, then reverse the selection and you will have those outside.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since the Intersect tool in the Analysis toolbox doesn't "select" features, I assume you are also not interesting in selecting features outside of your property layer but creating a new layer that contains the lines, or parts of lines, that are outside of your property layer.  I would use Erase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos