How to interpolate values along a stream network

Jump to solution
04-15-2021 09:57 AM
BenjamenWetherill
New Contributor III

In ArcMap, is there a way to interpolate water quality values along a stream network?  I have values that were collected at stations in my stream network, and I would like to interpolate them between stations on connected streams.  I thought about using raster interpolation, but I don't want to interpolation to jump laterally across watersheds - just along the flow of water.  I would like to be able to use graduated coloring on the streams to show changes in water quality.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
BenjamenWetherill
New Contributor III

Thanks.  I will try these.

0 Kudos
BenjamenWetherill
New Contributor III

Spline with Barriers works perfectly!  If I draw a polygon barrier that follows the streams and separates lateral streams, and doesn't block direct lines between consecutive sampling points.  My license doesn't include Kernel with Barriers.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Does that make sense? If you are sampling pollutants as a measure of quality won't they have "diffused" or  "gone downstream" by the next day? Interpolating specific pollutants would imply some sort of static distribution I guess?

0 Kudos
BenjamenWetherill
New Contributor III

Yes, I would say it makes sense.  Rivers are not monolithic.  They receive pollutants at specific points and the pollutants get diluted or attenuated at other points.

0 Kudos