How to identify uphill and downhill segments of a road centreline?

09-30-2014 08:06 AM
JamesHood
Occasional Contributor

Hello.

I need to identify the sloped areas of streets within our street centre lines feature class. 

Street segments are split at intersections.

Using the  Add Surface Information (3D Analyst) tool, I am able to add the min max and avg slope of a segment. 
However, some segments have both up and down hill portions.  Some have flat portions and then down hill portions. So using the above tool is mis-leading.
What might be best is to identify breakpoints where a sloped portion starts or stops.  I can then use these breakpoints to split the line segments and then obtain slopes only for those areas. 

Please see the 2 attached images.  They depict  typical segments that have downhill and uphill sections of the same segment. 

I am having difficulty visualizing this process.  Can anybody help guide me in the correct direction or offer advice on how to obtain the slopes as outlined above?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesHood
Occasional Contributor

I think one solution is to use the SPlit lines at specified distance tool .  http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/at_a_specified_distance_or_percentage/...

If I split to 5 m lengths, I could then use the Add Surface Info tool  on these then dissolve based on an ordinal classification in a separate field. 

How can I use the Splitting lines at specified distance  tool in an automated manner?  Or is this strictly a manual process?

Thanks!

0 Kudos