How to add vertices to polyline and polygon at the same time?

02-24-2015 01:15 PM
SteveGodding
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

Is there a non-geoprocessing tool that can add vertices to a polyline and a polygon where they intersect at the same time?

I've attached a picture to help visualize what I'm asking.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What exactly do you mean with a non-geoprocessing tool? Is a python script an option?

You may want to move your post to a place that is directed towards a specific audience (see: What are Places?‌ ).

It is also recommended to add more information, like:

• what version of the software are you using?
  • what license level you have?
  • do you have access to extensions?
  • what information do you have available (how many polygons and polylines do you have)?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In addition to Xander's comments...what do you mean?  While you are editing? Nothing in Arctoolbox?  No scripts that rely on Arctoolbox tools? In short...everything relies on geoprocessing code, where it is revealed is something else.  Should want to do this completely outside of ArcMap, you can investigate pure Python and the NumPy module, this can be done using computational geometry principles, the only thing is getting it back to feature format readable in a GIS

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Another aspect that would help in figuring out a solution is the "why" part.  A vertice needs to be added, but what is driving this?  I'm not questioning the need to do this, but instead ask as oftentimes knowing the "why" opens up a whole different batch of solutions.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
SteveGodding1
New Contributor

What I'm doing is data collection. I'm working on collecting land cover, and these polygons must be coincident with the road polylines I have already drawn. What I'm asking is if there is a faster way to create vertices where these polygons and polylines meet on both layer types. What I'm currently doing is drawing the land cover polygon over the road polyline, then manually adding vertices to the road polyline where the polygon intersects the polyline, then finally snapping the overlapping polygon to the road vertices that I manually created. Ive tried using intersect but I don't seem to be able to get it to do what I want.

I'm using 10.2, with an ArcInfo license, and have access to extensions.

Thanks for all the help so far.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Is part of the goal to have the road polyline broken out into segments based on the land cover?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Another question - is the road polyline essentially "cutting" the landcover polygons?  For example, if a road passes through a landcover polygon, do you need it break the polygon into 2 parts, using the road as a boundary?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm going to go cave-man simple here and not ask why what, who or when; use a map topology with both the lines and polygons as the members of that topology.  Add a vertex where the line crosses the polygon edge.

Yours truly,

Grog

That should just about do it....
SteveGodding1
New Contributor

The road polyline needs to be continuous as it is part of a network. As for the second question, yes, the road is essentially cutting the polygon, using the road as a boundary.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Joe's suggestion will work.  Primitive but effective 

A couple more options:

1. XTools Pro (third-party software for ArcGIS) has a "Split Polygons" tool that will split them using a line.  You can download the demo version for free and try it out.

http://www.xtoolspro.com/

2.  Splitting a polygon by an overlapping feature

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP