GPX to Features function is not showing accurate data

04-17-2014 08:29 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MidnightYell2003

Hi, I have a .gpx file that was generated from a smartphone app of a run that I did awhile back.  When I bring the GPX file into Google Earth, it shows up just fine (points and lines):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33170[/ATTACH]

When I import the GPX file into ArcGIS (using Conversion Tools --> From GPS --> GPX to Features), it comes in very blocky and in only point format:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33171[/ATTACH]

Is there a way to make my imported GPX points much more accurate, and to somewhere mirror how Google Earth sees them?

thanks in advance!

(on a separate note, I can make the GPX file into a KML file, and it only comes in as a line, not as points)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
The GPX tool converts the points from the file into points in a shapefile/featureclass/etc.
If you lines, you can use the Points to Lines tool to turn point-tracks into lines.

I'm not sure about the point/line difference. Is it possible GE is doing some sort of smoothing? The GPX to Features tool translates points exactly from the coordinates values inside. If you were to open the file in a text editor and copy/paste the point values into the XY tool in ArcMap, they'd show up in the same place.
0 Kudos