Piceance Basin Oil Concentration

04-18-2014 11:45 AM
PeterWethington
New Contributor
Hello all, this is my first post and I am new to GIS. This post might not even be in the correct category but I am currently working on a school project in which we asses the natural resources of Piceance Basin Colorado. My subsystem focuses on the Oil shale Resources within.

Data I'm working with:
- Rasters: 1. Gallons per Ton for individual layers  2. Top elevations of individual layers

What I am trying to accomplish:
- I am trying to locate the highest concentrations of all the layers in gallons of oil, a nice flowing raster output

What I have attempted thus far:

- I used the cut and fill tool to find the volume between two layers. Then I used a general value for the density of shale to get it into tons. Then I simply multiplied that value using raster calc. by it's appropriate GPT layer. I did this for every layer and added them using raster calc. What I got was a good looking map, but my values are in the 10^14 gallons and I think I did something wrong. I mean the numbers are supposed to be massive but my TA says I am doing something wrong. What do you guys think?

TA's suggestions:
- I need to get the volume into a per cell basis and not a total. I am at a loss as to what to do and I would really appreciate any help.

P.S.- If anyone has a better ground up approach please let me know.
0 Kudos
0 Replies