Get polylines which touch (endpoints) of a given polyline

11-26-2013 01:39 PM
AnthonyGallo
New Contributor
Hello all,

Somewhat familiar with GIS and Python/scripting languages but very new to integrating the two. I have a polyline shapefile of street centerlines for a city. These centerlines have a Boolean field for whether or not they contain a bike lane. My desired end product is a table/list of bike lane corridors (i.e. "Main Street") and the start and end intersecting (touching) streets (i.e. "1st Street" and "9th Street"). To do this, I think I need to do the following:
- Create a list of all unique bike lane corridors - i.e. I may have several adjacent "Main Street" polylines with bike_lane set to TRUE but would only want to count this street once (equivalent of an SQL SELECT DISTINCT)
- Loop through each distinct corridor and find the endpoints
- Extract the information (really just 'Street Name') of the polyline(s) touching each endpoint

Does this request make sense? Again, my end result would be something like:
1. Corridor: Main Street, Start Point: 1st St, End Point: 9th St
2. Corridor: Market Street, Start Point: Water St, End Point: Ridge St
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
This blog about creating a street intersection list may be a good place to start.  After you've digested this blog, have a look at the attached PDF.  This PDF is in response to a comment on the blog post about adding an attribute to street segments containing the cross-streets.  Once you have the cross-street information on your street segments, you should be able to select streets with bike lanes and copy the selected rows to a new table.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Also have a look of this demo presentation - Demo 1: Assign From-to Road Names.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=39f4bde0c6734f8c9358d9e7f204f843
0 Kudos