geographic transformations not available when projecting raster datasets

03-02-2011 11:38 AM
lauracarlson
New Contributor
Hi,  I am running ARCMap 10, and am having trouble projecting raster datasets.  My first problem is that the Raster project option is not available from the ArcToolbox window in ArcMap.  I can access it only through ArcCatalogue.  This is annoying, but the biggest issue is that when I try to project a raster where a datum transformation is necessary (Arc1950, to WGS I get no options for geographic transformations in the pull-down box.  They ARE available when I project a vector layer, however.  I have tried, as well creating a custom transformation, but these do not show up in the raster conversion tool, only in the vector.  What is going on! 

thanks,

Laura
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
The ProjectRaster tool is available via ArcToolbox in v10 (same name as it has been since v9.0 I think). When I open the tool, there is (still) a parameter for "geographic Transformation". It will be "unselectable" until you have defined an output coordinate system - assuming a transformation is applicable.
0 Kudos
lauracarlson
New Contributor
Thanks Chris, but maybe my post was not clear enough.  I have located the Project Raster tool, and have selected my input and output projections. Because the transformation between the two requires a datum change, choosing a geographic transformation is required. The problem is that, unlike when I project a vector layer with the vector tool, no transformations are available from the drop-down box. NONE!  Can anyone help?
0 Kudos
MikeQuentel
New Contributor
Thanks Chris, but maybe my post was not clear enough.  I have located the Project Raster tool, and have selected my input and output projections. Because the transformation between the two requires a datum change, choosing a geographic transformation is required. The problem is that, unlike when I project a vector layer with the vector tool, no transformations are available from the drop-down box. NONE!  Can anyone help?

Having a very similar problem with the Project Raster tool...but only having problem on Windows 7; Windows XP works fine with this.

In Windows XP it is possible to dump a GTF file into the %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcToolbox\CustomTransformations directory, or, using python, generate the GTF file on the fly (writes to the same directory), like this:

arcpy.CreateCustomGeoTransformation_management(transformationName, inGCS, outGCS, customGeoTransfm)

In either case, I can use the GTF file (generated by script, or copied from elsewhere) in Windows XP, but not on Windows 7, when running a Project Raster operation--either through python scripting or manually through ArcToolbox.  We are using a custom transformation to convert between NAD83 and NAD83 CSRS.  We want to use our own custom definition (transformation) to do this, not ESRI's pre-defined version.

Anyone have any insights into why Windows 7 environment might make a custom GTF file inaccessible through ArcToolbox during a Project Raster operation?  Or is there something other than Windows 7 effecting this ArcToolbox behaviour?
0 Kudos
BrentEdwards
New Contributor III

I am experiencing the same problem using ArcGIS 10 on Windows 7. The "Project" (vector) tool works as it should, the providing option to select a desired transformation from a drop down list. The "Project Raster" tool does not. The "Geographic Transformation (optional)" parameter is unusable (no drop down list).

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I've personally seen this, but it's never been reliably reproduced in-house.

Workaround:

1. Add the raster to ArcMap

2. Set the data frame's coordinate system to the target coordinate system (data frame properties, coordinate system tab)

3. Set the appropriate geographic/datum transformation (same tab, transformations button)

4. Right-click the raster layer in the table of contents and on the context menu, select data, export data.

5. In the export data tool, select the data frame's coordinate system.

Melita

BrentEdwards
New Contributor III

Thanks for the work around. The work around is functional, but it is not ideal for mass reprojecting rasters.

Cheers,

Brent

0 Kudos