Generated  from an attribute

Jump to solution
05-14-2012 11:33 AM
Arturo_FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
Occasional Contributor
I separate entities for a specific attribute, but I want to do it in bulk and not having to export each selection.
There any tools or code you can use python ?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Iterators may look daunting initially but it won't take time to use them with ease. For your particular issue you start here:

Help topic on Iterate Feature Selection

Tutorial on Iterators in ModelBuilder

To get started, see the Model below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14338[/ATTACH]

The first oval (blue) is your input. The Iterate Feature tool uses the unique values of your field to select features iteratively. Copy Features then copies the output to your desired location. In your case, if you run the this model, you'll see 12 output feature classes.

I have also attached the toolbox with the model. Edit the model to set paths to your need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you please elaborate your issue? Is the data type of the attribute is of type Text (string) or what? Where do you want to put your separated 'entity'? In the same attribute table or in a different table?
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I separate entities for a specific attribute, but I want to do it in bulk and not having to export each selection.
There any tools or code you can use python ?

A really nice approach for this is to use Model Builder with the the Iterate Feature Selection tool, piping its output into the Copy Features tool.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
I have a Feature Class that contains 12 records (entities) and a particular attribute and unique for each I want is to separate this in 12 feature class for the value of this attribute.
I proved that I can do with Split, placing as input and split at the same feature.
But I have no license ArcINFO to use SPLIT
Model Builder as discussed earlier hope it works but I have never used iterator.
thanks
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Iterators may look daunting initially but it won't take time to use them with ease. For your particular issue you start here:

Help topic on Iterate Feature Selection

Tutorial on Iterators in ModelBuilder

To get started, see the Model below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14338[/ATTACH]

The first oval (blue) is your input. The Iterate Feature tool uses the unique values of your field to select features iteratively. Copy Features then copies the output to your desired location. In your case, if you run the this model, you'll see 12 output feature classes.

I have also attached the toolbox with the model. Edit the model to set paths to your need.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Nobbir
thank you so much
0 Kudos