finding points outside a buffer

Jump to solution
11-13-2020 12:48 PM
AlPollard
New Contributor III

My problem is similar to another one posted, but I'm a novice so I'm not sure if those answers would apply. Here is the problem:

I have X number of sites in several states (one data set which has a PlaceName).

I have XXX number of employees who work at the sites (identified by PlaceName).

I want to find employees who live more than x number of miles away from their PlaceName.

I want to be able to export the final product as a table.

So I know I could probably use Model builder to iterate through each PlaceName and Employee, but I'm not sure how to do that. 

I could also use Spatial Join but I'm not sure just how to configure them (which is my primary, one to many or one to one?,) etc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are doing this manually, what tools do you use in ArcToolbox?

Based on your title, if you know how to select features within a buffer, then you just need to hit the switch selection button within the table.

The base tools to perform your operations are

Select Layer by Attributes - ie place names, counties, states etc

Select Layer by Location -  see this Select By Location graphic examples for cross-geometry examples

You can reverse the selections within the latter.

Now if you need to code this, the code samples in the tool are the way to go.  No need for modelbuilder or searchcursors.  Use the tools to simplify your workflow, or drag the tools onto a model if you really need to

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

It's a bit of a blunt instrument, but you could run a generate near table

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/analysis/generate-near-table.htm

then filter the results in excel etc. i.e. get rid of matches where PlaceName is not the same.

Model builder you would do something like iterate feature selection on the place points, but it gets complicated by having to filter the home locations by workplace at the same time.  

0 Kudos
AlPollard
New Contributor III

Hmm, It looks like that may work. I'll have to give it a try when I get back to my desk tomorrow. I don't mind doing a little excel work.

0 Kudos
AlPollard
New Contributor III

Unfortunately that particular tool is not licensed by my organization so I am unable to try it out.

Thanks for the reply though.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are doing this manually, what tools do you use in ArcToolbox?

Based on your title, if you know how to select features within a buffer, then you just need to hit the switch selection button within the table.

The base tools to perform your operations are

Select Layer by Attributes - ie place names, counties, states etc

Select Layer by Location -  see this Select By Location graphic examples for cross-geometry examples

You can reverse the selections within the latter.

Now if you need to code this, the code samples in the tool are the way to go.  No need for modelbuilder or searchcursors.  Use the tools to simplify your workflow, or drag the tools onto a model if you really need to

... sort of retired...