Field Calculator and Calculate Geometry EXTREMELY SLOW!!!

05-17-2011 11:30 AM
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
We manage land records for a county that contains 191,532 parcels. Within the attribute table there are 4 fields which require us the calculate the geometry and 3 fields which which require the use of the field calculator. This took less than 5 minutes per field in 9.3.1 but takes over 20 minutes in 10.
This could potentially cause us to go back to 9.3.1 until something is resolved.

What in the world is going on? Has anyone encountered this and found a solution?

Thanks
0 Kudos
23 Replies
MaryCoburn1
New Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone found a good workaround this. I am using 10.6 and have created a model builder tool. I put a ‘calculate area’ into my model builder tool to update the area and it takes more time to run this one calculation than it does to run the rest of the model. It started calculating the area 15 hours ago and is still only 32% done.  It usually takes 6-8 hours to run the entire model.

I have found that running things in Python is usually faster than using the tools through the toolbox, but this Model Builder tool is for someone else who doesn’t know python so I am trying to make it using tools they can easily change if they need to later. 

0 Kudos
KenHartling
Esri Contributor

Hello Mary,

Would I be able to get the model and data from you to investigate?

If so, I'll contact you with info on how to get it to us securely.

Thx. Ken

0 Kudos
MaryCoburn1
New Contributor

I will be able to send you the data, but it must only be used for trouble shooting purposes.

0 Kudos
KenHartling
Esri Contributor

After taking a look at Mary's case I was unable to reproduce the performance issues using her data and model. She was able to work around the issue by modifying the order of operations a bit in the model, however, I would guess that there is something on the system being used that is causing the issue. I recommended following some of the troubleshooting issues here when possible.

Mary, thanks for helping us attempt to investigate what you were seeing.   

Ken

0 Kudos