Field Calc dead slow in 10.3; lightning fast in 10.2: what gives?

Jump to solution
05-03-2017 11:49 AM
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

When using the 'Field Calculator...' in the Attribute Table on selected records in 10.3, the calculations (even simple ones like setting an integer field = 1) are excruciatingly slow.  When using the 'Field Calculator...' on selected records in 10.2, the calculations are blisteringly fast. See the attached image. The split screen shows the identical calculation performed on a selected set of simple lines. In 10.2, the calculation took 0.23 seconds. In 10.3, the exact same calculation on the exact same number of selected lines took 20.13 seconds. Why?10.3 selected records field calc fail

I have been over all of the settings, environment variables, everything I can think of but there are no differences between the settings that I can see. Have I missed something? (Besides my marbles, I mean...)

TIA,

Brian

Tags (1)
12 Replies
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

Well, resetting the Normal.mxd has fixed the problem. Thank you so much all of you and Rebecca in particular for your insights.

I had a couple of custom Addin toolbars in the mxt that of course are gone now that I've reset. I will at least be able to troubleshoot the issue now going forward.

Thanks again,

Brian

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

you should be able to get the addin's back...if not with the .addin button, but manually adding or maybe moving.

That is the problem with resetting the normal, you do lose you customization....but sometimes it is helpful to start fresh, but at a minimum it is always one of the first things to test when things go haywire (and you can always rename it back if that wasn't the issue...assuming you kept the old as a backup )

0 Kudos
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

Thanks; yes, essentially getting different colleagues to try the same test while logged into the network share is the same thing. I did that just now and found that:

• the ones who don't normally experience a slow 10.3 field calc, didn't. Their test speeds were all comparable at about 0.19 seconds.
  • for those who DO normally experience a slow 10.3 field cal, the slow down happens when in an Edit session only (18 - 21 seconds). When performing a field calc outside an Edit session, the time for the same test averages .48 seconds.
0 Kudos