Feature to Point not calculating centroid correctly

02-21-2013 07:46 AM
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III
This is registered as a bug for 10.0, but I am not clear on the status since I can't find the bug report.
Was this fixed in 10.1 or do I have to work around this for my SDE data?

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/29346-Calculate-the-centroid-of-a-polygon-in-ArcMap-10.0?highlight=...

The problem is the "inside" option of feature to point does not place the centroid anywhere near the center, as it does with Calculate Geometry or with FtoP without the "inside" option selected.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22047[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelanieSummers
Hi Dana,

Are you referring to NIM071576: The Feature to Point tool creates a different center point when the option to constrain the point to the inside of the polygon is enabled, but the center point is actually inside the polygon. ?

If so, it shows as having been fixed in the next release.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Dana, if possible, please share a sample data so I can double check for you. Thanks.
0 Kudos
DanaNolan
The number I was looking for was NIM084360 from 9/2012; perhaps it is the same thing? My access to this forum at work is horrifically slow, so I would not have looked for another bug.

Hi Dana,

Are you referring to NIM071576: The Feature to Point tool creates a different center point when the option to constrain the point to the inside of the polygon is enabled, but the center point is actually inside the polygon. ?

If so, it shows as having been fixed in the next release.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi Dana,

NIM084360 was rejected as a duplicate of NIM071576: The Feature to Point tool creates a different center point when the option to constrain the point to the inside of the polygon is enabled, but the center point is actually inside the polygon. So yes, they are the same thing.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Dana, if possible, please share a sample data so I can double check for you. Thanks.

Can't share my data.
0 Kudos