Exporting Shapefile Help

02-24-2015 02:58 PM
claytonmcnaught
New Contributor

Hi. I am running 10.2

Background:

I built a spreadsheet with population data.

I have object_ID field, GEO_ID, County, & pop_data Fields, etc.

The names correspond.

the Polygon layer ( Counties ) has the GEO_ID and County name, shape length and area, etc.

I imported the spreadsheet, joined the polygon layer (Counties) with the population data using the GEO_ID field.

This worked, I have a joined attribute table.

Problem:

I can not display the joined data.

when exporting (creating new shapefile) the exported data comes up empty.(nada)

I can remove the join, export the data and polygons are exported.

Thanks.

Clayton

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Some questions to help clarify the issue for troubleshooting:

1.  When you say you cannot display the joined data, do you mean after you export it?  Or Can you see the joined data by opening the attribute table before exporting?

2.  When you say the exported data comes up empty, can you confirm that not only are the joined attributes are missing but also missing are the original polygon attributes and the polygons are also missing?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
claytonmcnaught
New Contributor

Thanks Chris,

To answer the questions, the joined data is displayed in the county polygon attribute table.Once exported, the joined data ( the newly created polygon shapefile ) is created with no fields or attributes, an empty layer.

Best Regards.

Clayton

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try joining some other format that an excel file which is the impression that I get you are using, export to dbf perhaps

0 Kudos
claytonmcnaught
New Contributor

Thanks

I was able to use a different computer on a different network and the join was simply created.

I believe the complications are with the 10.2 software that I currently use.

Best Regards.

Clayton

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you reverse the join by chance?  you want to join the table to the shapefile's table...not the otherway around.  If that is not the case, I have never seen this behaviour before...ever...not even once

0 Kudos
claytonmcnaught
New Contributor

Hey Dan

I joined the correct way, and the incorrect way, created new spreadsheets to join as well as new layers, I intentionally attempted to 'do the wrong process' to see if somehow I had made an honest mistake.  as for your comment, this is strange indeed.

Best Regards.

Clayton

0 Kudos