Exporting a very large File Geodatabase Feature Class after an Add Join

11-13-2018 10:04 AM
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Hello!

I have 40 separate File Geodatabase Feature Classes inside a File Geodatabase each with about 1,000,000 polygons each with around 5 fields and 10 new ones I joined using the Add Join tool. So far no problem. However, as far as I know the only way to make this a permanent one is to use the Export Features Tool. Exporting it without the join is done after a few minutes, however exporting it with the join is taking as long as 2 days per File Geodatabase Feature Class. 

Is there anything I could do differently to speed up the process??

I would really appreciate somebody's help even if it is to let me know that there is nothing else I can do.

Just want to be sure I am doing it correctly and not wasting a month of work.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Natalia,

Instead of performing a join and exporting, try executing the Join Field tool.  This tool joins the fields directly to the feature class.

NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Thank you Jake for your response. I already tried this as well and it also takes a fair amount of time.

Is there anything else I could do?  

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would have is to make sure you have the join fields indexed.

Also, where does the join table reside?  Is it a CSV, a File Geodatabase table?  If it's a File Geodatabase table, does it exist in the same File Geodatabase as the feature class? 

NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Jake I am not sure if I have the join fields indexed. I don't really know what that is.How could I do it?

The join table resides in a folder in the form of a shapefile. In reality I am joining the table from a shapefile to a file geodatagase feature class. 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Try importing the shapefile into the same File Geodatabase as the feature class.  Then, add an index to the fields that you are using to create a join.

NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Should I remove the join and add the join again after having moved the shapefile into the Geodatabase? Or moving the shapefile to the geodatabase with the join already done works? I am asking before I remove the joins of over 50 shapefiles 😕

thanks!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You will need to re-apply the join once the shapefile is imported into the File Geodatabase.  Test one of the layers first before removing all of the joins.

0 Kudos
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Alright will try:

1. Removing the join for one File Geodatabase feature class

2. Then moving the shapefile inside the Geodatabase

3. Add Attribute Indexes to the two fields I am using to create the join. (The common field between the shapefile and the file geodatabase I using to create the join?)

Does that sound correct? 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, then you can recreate the join and try the export.  Or, execute the Join Field tool.

0 Kudos