Euclidean Distance at the border

Jump to solution
05-30-2018 04:44 PM
VigneshP1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have two feature classes - a firm level, point shape file and a district level, polygon shape file. Have around 12000 firms and 15 districts. I would like to find the following two things:

Question 1. Find the firms that are within 10km from the border of a district.

Question 2. Find the Euclidean distance of each firm.

When I tried to perform both these operations using some information from the past posts and some Youtube instruction videos, have encountered few issues and I am listing them below:

Issues for Question 1: I tried using "Near Tool", by selecting the Firm level, Point shape file as the Input feature and District level shape file as the Near Feature by using 10 km as the radius, but arcmap is providing me with negative (-1) district IDs which cannot be possible. 

Issues for Question 2: I am unable to select two feature classes when I select the Euclidean distance tool, therefore can't use this tool at all. 

Any instructions would be helpful.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sort of like this?  

I connected the 'near' coordinates to the original point coordinates to form the lines which obviously have a distance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

convert the polygon to a polyline, that should take care of the -1 since a point in a polygon, can't measure the distance to the border, but it can to a line.  As for the Euclidean distance, try near with the polyline and points layer

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sort of like this?  

I connected the 'near' coordinates to the original point coordinates to form the lines which obviously have a distance.

VigneshP1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the instructions Dan and sorry for the late reply.

I will try it asap, need to get access to a system with arcgis installed.

0 Kudos