Select to view content in your preferred language

ETRS89 to BNG using Grid inQuest

08-11-2010 08:05 AM
MarcGellatly
Deactivated User
Hi.

I'm hoping someone will entertain this query and apologies if it's been done to death.

I have a set of GPS coordinates - points near the coastline. I want to tranform them to British National Grid (BNG) so I can display against some raster mapping of land.

1. My initial solution was to take the spreadsheet of coords, convert from degrees/decimal minutes to decimal degrees. Then use the Convert (files) function of Grid inQuest to transform from ETRS89 to BNG. Then create XY data.

However, individual conversions work in Grid inQuest but every time I use the Convert (files) my results never produce a list in BNG.

2. I'm also attempting to use the Project function from Toolbox, however the Geographic Transformation option does not provide the tranformation I want, ETRS89 to BNG/OSGB36.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RolandBurkhard
New Contributor
Ben, thanks for this, just wanted to post the same findings but you were just a bit faster. I told the Quest developers about this, let's see what happens.

Regards, Roland

Hi all,

I have had similar issues to what I see described in the previous posts and I believe it may be a bug which is triggered the first time you output to UTM using the "Convert file(s)..." feature. When subsequent batch conversions are performed the Grid InQuest software appears to remember the previous output coordinate setting being UTM and uses this over the output coordinate system manually chosen.

I've found that deleting a few registry keys can fix this issue.

In Registry Editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Quest\. When I have had this issue I have deleted the entire contents under the Quest key, however it is likely that deleting the values "Destination Format", "Destination Zone", "Format", "Source Format" and "Source Zone" under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Quest\GridInQuest\Preferences\ will be sufficient.

Hope this helps!

Ben
0 Kudos