Errors writing rasters when iterating

05-22-2013 05:07 PM
MatthewBrown1
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I am using a cursor to iterate a polygon feature class, extract rasters derived from a DEM, reclassify them and perform a weighted sum. I have tried various methods/syntax and they all seem to work for a while and eventually fail when writing out a new raster. It fails at different places in the script on different rows of the cursor and seems to be related more to locks on the FGDB I am writing to. (If I execute the Python that fails in the same process to a different location it works perfectly.) I have set arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True but get the same result even if the output raster doesn't already exist.

Here's a typical error:

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Workspace or data source is read only.
Workspace or data source is read only.
No spatial reference exists.
ERROR 010029: Unable to create the raster C:\Users\matthewb\Documents\ArcGIS\default.gdb\SliceDEM59.
ERROR 010235: Returned error from SLICE.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (Slice).

Often after this error there is a File Geodatabase Table with the raster output name, although the properties dialogue says it is a polygon feature class. From the field names, it appears to be the raster footprint. This table cannot be deleted until ArcGIS Desktop is restarted.

Is there something I can do to programmatically to ensure there are no locks? Are FGDB rasters the best format to be using? Is ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 as riddled with bugs as I think it is??? (I'm running ArcGIS Desktop (ArcEditor) 10.1 SP1 on Win7 x64 SP1.)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MatthewBrown1
Occasional Contributor
Update:

I copied my data to my dev sandbox which isn't based on our corporate image (and is off the network) and the script ran through the first 100 rows without error! Twice!!

Looks like I'm going to have an argument with our sys admin again....
0 Kudos