Error Message while Using Intersect Tool

04-20-2015 08:14 AM
TomVo
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been receiving error message during intersecting process (picture). I am trying to intersect between these two layers: 1) city boundaries and 2) buffers of those cities. Have anyone face this issue before? Please let me know how to solve it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

33 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What are the input and output names? I ask because this looks like file naming may be the culprit - never name anything starting with anything but a letter and only use alphanumeric characters plus "_".

TomVo
by
New Contributor II

input names:

1) scag_2010_blockgroups

2) scag_2010_blockgroups_3mi_bffr_LA

Output name:

1) scag_2010_blockgroups_3mi_bffr_LA_intrsct

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

There are sveral limitations when using shapefiles as an output, such as field name length. Perhaps one of these is tripping you up?

They are listed here: ArcGIS Desktop

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Oh, just a thought--if the output location of these files is not a GDB, are you adding the .shp to the end of the file name?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

This is only a problem for feature classes, by the way. You can name shapefiles starting with a number.

TomVo
by
New Contributor II

Sephe,

Thanks for the info. This spatial analysis worked with 1 mile buffer but, for some reasons, it does not work for 3 mile buffer. I've tried to save the output in GDB as well but the problem still exists.

Interestingly, I performed a same procedure (intersect) for a different area with less records and it worked. I am thinking it is because I have too many records after intersecting the two layers? This may be the case..

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

How many records are there? You can quickly tell by selecting by location the parcels that intersect your buffers.

0 Kudos
TomVo
by
New Contributor II

Worked:

1) scag_2010_blockgroups (239 records)

2) scag_2010_blockgroups_3mi_bffr_IM (239 records)

Did not work:

1) scag_2010_blockgroups (5697 records)

2) scag_2010_blockgroups_3mi_bffr_LA (5679 records)

At this moment, I am 75% confident that the cause of intersect failure is the size of my shapefile...

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hmmm, I don't know. That is not a particularly large amount of records. I regularly do this kind of analysis with 200k records.

0 Kudos