Empty output from Intersect Analysis?

02-04-2017 03:03 PM
JH5
by
New Contributor

I am running intersect analysis for a large number of records in a python script. There are ~2100 records, and I perform intersect analysis for each record. The script works fine until it gets to about record 1850 - then creates an empty output. I tried repairing the geometry of the inputs and it made no difference. Each of these inputs is almost exactly the same in size, orientation, etc. Why is this tool crashing on input 1850? 

This is the section of my code that is producing the empty output:

profile=line_obj
point=point_obj
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(profile,output_line)
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(point,output_point)
arcpy.Intersect_analysis([output_point,output_line],output_snap,"ALL","0.5 Meters","")

*Profile and point are created from geometry objects. I had issues previously getting intersect analysis to recognize the correct hierarchy of the geometry objects, which is why I've copied them to feature classes. As feature classes, intersect analysis recognizes hierarchy just fine.

For the record in question, the output line and points are produced without a problem. It's just the intersect analysis that is producing the problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you share your script, or the functional parts of it related to these intersection?  Without seeing detailed code, it is hard to offer suggestions.  If you can post any data with it, even better.

0 Kudos
JH5
by
New Contributor

Hi - included a code snippet. I can attach the problematic line and point file when my current script finishes up ... I have it running now to just skip empty outputs so I have at least some outputs to work with. It may give me a better picture of how extensive the problem is as well - is it just record 1850, or every record subsequent to 1850?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

seems like you might want to use cursors and the polygon geometry class which has intersect methods ... it might be easier if you are going through one shape at a time.

0 Kudos
JH5
by
New Contributor

I am intersecting a cluster of points with a line ... no polygons involved. The intersect tool for geometries unfortunately doesn't have the option for an XY tolerance. I really need the output from intersect analysis, which is oddly working for the majority of the inputs but not all.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't suppose running a Near and pruning your candidate points out first would help.  But a snaptoline in the PointGeometry class might be useful

0 Kudos