Empty feature class after erase/intersect/clip

Jump to solution
08-30-2012 12:56 PM
WilliamClark
New Contributor II
I have differentially corrected Trimble collected data on a parking lot.  I want to clip the tree island (red hash) from the actual parking area (light blue).  I have these data in shapefile and in a file geodatabase.  Whenever I run a clip or intersect or erase I get an empty feature class.  There is no errror reported but also no records in the attribute table.  No idea why.  Anyone?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17388[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
10 Replies
ChristopherThompson
Occasional Contributor III
If the data were collected using GPS and haven't been massaged after post-processing those features can often have 'loops' in them where the GPS has vertices that are captured in relatively close order but are mal-positioned, or might even reflect the path that the field person took while collecting the data.  Another 'weird' thing that can happen with gps data (though that is not this case) is that if areas are collected by traversing a boundary in opposite directions  - say, where you walk counterclockwise around one area, and then clockwise around another.  Its odd and doesn't show up wrong or every time but this is often the problem when  do things like calculate areas and start getting negative values or hatch symbols that display 'outside' the features.  GPS is a wonderful tool, but the data can bring a whole new range of management issues.
0 Kudos