editing shape file

09-17-2014 08:45 AM
jackwalker
New Contributor II

Hi everyone

i was wondering if anyone has som ideas about my question below. What i have is a series of shapefile which which are snapped to one another. The represent the different areas of a region on a maps.   As seen in the first picture below.

Picture_Number_1.jpg

There are a series of control points which define the boundary bewteen the two shapes. The act as validation points , so points which are red , should be in the peach colour shape and one points which are blue should be in the blue shape. As seen below.

Picture_Number_2.jpg

So in some cases the red points are inside the blue shape and there are blue points inside the peachy shape. As a QC measure i want to edit the shapes so the red and blue points are in the correct point. So i get an end product like something below

Picture_Number_3.jpg

i have started to carry this out . The process i have been doing this by going into the shape file and manually , editing the shape and then going into the shape it previsously had a boundary with and then cutting out the shape and making sure the shapes snap to one another using the trace feature . i was wondering if there is an automated way of doing this . Ideally i like too be able to edit the shape and relationships and snapping is updated , anyone ideas , on making this more automatically i ahve a lot of control point which mioght need to be, thanks a lot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

It appears that your polygon data is very generalized, causing misalignment. Is there no other, more detailed, less generalized source for this boundary data?

0 Kudos
jackwalker
New Contributor II

Hi Jim , the only relationship that the booundary bewteen the data is that it should be snapped to one another . i am not sure what you mean by it being generilized . Jack

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Apologies for being unclear.

I was asking more about the source of the boundary data. The image below has a detailed (green) and a generalized (red) county boundary shown. You can see where points located near the green boundary have the potential to be shown on the incorrect side using the generalized line.

So, (not knowing what these boundaries represent or where they came from), is there another source for their delineation that may be a better representation?

Generalized Bndry.png

0 Kudos