divide a polygone feature class in multiple polygons

12-03-2014 03:39 AM
PhilippWeisheit
New Contributor

hi there,

I have a feature class with a 100 polygons in it and I want to divide all polygons at once to 6 portions in a segmentation of 10%, 10%, 30%, 13%, 14% and 23%!

Any suggestions how to do so would be really nice.

Thx

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Based upon area?  I presume that you have read threads on this and other forums that suggest that this is not an easy task at the best of times, particularly if you have irregular polygons and/or polygons with an orientation or holes.  Try a search using "subdivide a polygon" so see what I mean.

0 Kudos
PhilippWeisheit
New Contributor

you are right - it´s not a easy task and there is no real solution to it...

but what is your opinon; could I divide the polygons some how over the attribute table so that I have 6 columns and every column could be a percentage portion of the polygon?

or maybe for better understanding the problem I am facing here is that I classified the land use in my research area over a satellite image and all of them a just one typ of land use but one! This single land use class includes 6 different typs. I can not detect those over a satellite image. but I know the percentage composition of it! for further processing I need the VALUE in the attribute table for re-classife the land use typ.

hope this is somehow understandable and if there are any suggestions to it I would be rally really happy!

cheers

0 Kudos
MirceaMaierean
New Contributor III

You can create a new field for each of those specific percentages classes (Residential land use breaking up in Res_1, Res_2, Res_3, etc.) and use Field Calculator to calculate the percentage you need having the polygon selected and using its Shape_Area(total area) field to do the calculations. The only drawback is that you have to do it by individual Polygon because I don't think you have the same percentages for each one.

On the other hand if you want to try the parcel editor that might help out too.

ArcGIS Desktop