Dissolve Gets 000117 Error

10-31-2013 01:08 PM
CrystalHenle
New Contributor
I've been trying to dissolve statewide blocks into tracts.  I have the same coordinate system for the shape and the background. But I continue to get the 000117 error.  I've tried everything I can think of to fix it.  I give the file its own map.  I change the projected coordinate system to a GCS.  I change from strings to numbers the dissolve field.  But it keeps popping up.  Halp!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KeaganAllan
New Contributor III
Hi,

I often find there are potentially two issues when it comes to Error 000117.

1) Have you tried changing the output directory and ensure there are no spaces in the name / path (and the start of the output filename isnt a number); and

2) have you tried running the repair geometry tool on the data?

Something else, maybe try creating a new field and populating that with the parameter for the dissolve and re-run the dissolve on that field?

Hope this helps a little.

K
0 Kudos
CrystalHenle
New Contributor
I have tried the no spaces to the d: drive but that hasn't worked.  I tried repairing the geometry but got the same error message after trying a dissolve. I'm using Census Blocks and Census LEHD data so it doesn't seem like it should be this tricky.  I've done it before, but this dataset just keeps giving me problems for some reason.
0 Kudos
CrystalHenle
New Contributor
And thank you for the suggestions.  I keep trying a number of different things, perhaps it will just work at some point.
0 Kudos
KeaganAllan
New Contributor III
Sorry that didnt work.
this should be a simple process.

The only other potential solution - try copying the data you using for the dissolve into a new field.
That may help?
0 Kudos