Dissolve error in 10.3

3350
7
04-19-2015 01:14 PM
StanaforthHopkins
New Contributor II

After successfully dissolving a line shapefile into a one feature shapefile, the dissolve geoprocessing function consistently malfunctions on successive tries for any shapefile. I'm running on Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion Dv6 Notebook with 64-bit i3 CPU and 4 GB RAM. I'd bet anything that it's an ESRI problem though.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

and you rebooted ​ and renamed your default template and/or profile to see if that solved the problem?

StanaforthHopkins
New Contributor II

Thanks for the info, but I'm new to these ideas. HELP seems to have a number of templates and profiles. Could you be more specific on the cause of and the fix for the probem?.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Stanaforth, try looking at ​Resetting your ArcGIS application profile  for help on resetting/refreshing your profile.

StanaforthHopkins
New Contributor II

Thanks Rebecca, but resetting all three didn't do the trick.

Looking harder at the error messge, I decided to rename MdDigContent.htm. A reboot of ArcGIS created a new one, but the problem is still the same!

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Have you seen this article, Stanaforth? ArcGIS Geoprocessing Tools Scripting Error | GISNuts.com Perhaps it will help.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Nice catch Sephe!!! explains why I have never seen it...I never use arccatalog except to create a new network dataset​

0 Kudos
StanaforthHopkins
New Contributor II

I followed the procedure in the scripting error report mentioned by Stephe and was unsuccessful. I tried all four versions of security level (Medium,Medium-High) and ArcGIS Geoprocessing Tools Scripting Error (Enable,Disable) and was careful to reboot ARCGis each time. I think I'll hang up this problem for awhile. Too time intensive.

"The next day, I did a little bit more research and testing. Once I knew what to search for, I found that someone had noticed the pattern and posted a blog article about the error in January of 2011. The solution was to decrease one's Internet Explorer security settings from the default level of Medium-high to Medium. I tried this, and problem solved. I could view metadata and then open a geoprocessing tool without error. Yeah!!!

Note:  If you want to do this, be sure to adjust the settings in the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer, not the 64-bit version.

Only one issue, I now had medium level security settings. Probably not that big of a deal for me since I do not use the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer (except in ArcMap), but this would not fly in a standard work environment.

I decided to figure out exactly which setting was causing the problem. After some experimenting, I found it. The setting Allow previously unused ActiveX controls to run without prompt needs to be set to Enable.

If you want to change this setting, then open the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer by going to Start --> All Programs --> Internet Explorer. The 64-bit version will say Internet Explorer (64-bit).  Once Internet Explorer opens, go to Tools --> Internet Options, and click on the Security tab.

Internet Options

For your Internet settings, click on Custom level..., and scroll down until you find the ActiveX controls and plug-ins.  Change Allow previously unused ActiveX controls to run without prompt from Disable toEnable.

Internet Options- Custom Security Level

Click Ok, Yes, and OK, and then close Internet Explorer.  This of course requires you to have permission to change these settings."