Creating New Polygons Based On Common Attributes

Jump to solution
06-17-2015 12:10 AM
ZubherOmar1
New Contributor

HI All

I was wondering if it was possible to create new polygons from an existing shapefile/feature class.

Scenario:

In the attribute table I would have a field called orchid, with 100 entries (100 individual Polygons)

10 entries = "Green Apples: Cluster 1"

10 entries = "Green Apples: Cluster 2"

10 entries = "Green Apples: Cluster 3"

20 entries = "Green Apples: Cluster 4"

25 entries = "Green Apples: Cluster 5"

25 entries = "Green Apples: Cluster 6"

(The orchids would be clustered, so 20 green orchids for instance would be next to each other separated by a clustered of 25 green orchids and so forth)

Is there a tool I can use to merge all the clustered orchids into 1 polygon, reflecting just the outer boundary of clusters?

(Hence resulting in only 6 polygons)

Regards,

Zubher.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Not sure why this post is in the Spatial Analyst area...

Have you looked at tools like Dissolve, which will aggregate data across multiple attribute columns?

If you actually want a bounding box or polygon you could try Feature envelope to polygon or Minimum bounding geometry.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Not sure why this post is in the Spatial Analyst area...

Have you looked at tools like Dissolve, which will aggregate data across multiple attribute columns?

If you actually want a bounding box or polygon you could try Feature envelope to polygon or Minimum bounding geometry.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Moved to Analysis​, since Spatial Analyst is a set of tools specific to raster processing.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Zubher,

First, add a field to the feature class (ClusterName). Define the values from Cluster1 to cluster6 (using FieldCalculator) in that field.

Then, Go for Dissolve tool based on ClusterName, as suggested by Neil Ayres​.

Note: Make sure the polygons that you select for a single cluster are located adjacent to each other, since you want six polygons.

Think Location