creating network dataset using model builder or Python script

08-19-2010 10:40 AM
JoannaLaroussi
New Contributor
I am looking for a way to automate workflow in creating Pedestrian and Vehicle Networks from street network. I put into model builder all restrictions about which streets I want to use and received a feature classes. From those feature classes I can create network datasets using a wizard, but I am looking for a way to add this step to model builder or script in Python. Does anybody found a way to create network dataset without using a wizard? Thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor
ArcGIS 10 does not include any geoprocessing tool to create the network dataset. So this workflow can not be automated in Model Builder or python scripts.

Deelesh
0 Kudos
MelissaDell
New Contributor
This is quite unfortunate, as it can take forever to enter all the impedances by hand if you need to test a network model using a large range of parameters. It would be great if ESRI could address this issue for the next release of Arc.
0 Kudos
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor
Melissa,
   ArcGIS 10 does not support creating network datasets using Model Builder or python scripts. However using the ArcObjects API in .NET or Java you can certainly automate the creation of network datasets. These .NET code samples show how to programatically create network datasets.

Hope this helps
Deelesh
0 Kudos
MatthewChilvers
New Contributor
I have to agree with Melissa,

It is most dissapointing that this cannot be done through Python.

I hope this is rectified in the next version. What is the point of being able to automate the build of networks and solving networks if you cannot automate the construction of the network in the first place.

The requirement to use .net or java will go well beyond the average GIS users capability.
0 Kudos
deleted-user-dp61qRbKUaMp
New Contributor II
Have to agree with Deelesh and MChilvers.  Such a shame this can't be done!!  I was really hoping to automate my entire workflow - this puts a massive kink in those plans.  .NET is not at all realistic for our team - other colleagues will have to run and update the code.  For them to work in Python is pushing it... adding a second language to the workflow (.NET or Java)?  Not a chance.    Fingers crossed that ESRI has it in the works to sort out this issue.
0 Kudos
HattieIrvin
New Contributor
ArcGIS 10 does not include any geoprocessing tool to create the network dataset.
0 Kudos
RoyJackson1
New Contributor III
Very lame this isn't included.
0 Kudos
KennethBrevard
New Contributor
So the workaround would be building a schema w/ the network dataset though the wizard then in python deleting features, appending new features, rebuilding network dataset?  Model Builder takes its sweet time when trying to do these in sequence; would be more efficient to only do this in one step.  Pretty please with sugar on top ESRI, make this a GP!!!!
0 Kudos
AndrewBlakey1
New Contributor II
KRBrevard:

Have you made that work? I can't find any way to edit my network lines unless I remove it from the network dataset source list, edit, then re-add. Which cannot be automated in python.

I hate that I can't create an ND in python (there must be some silly reason behind this)  but I am hoping to just have a feature class already set up, edit the feature class with new lines, and re-build the ND.
0 Kudos