Create Raster Index Shapefiles

03-05-2011 09:12 PM
EricClay
New Contributor
Has anyone found a tool or script that works in ArcGIS 10 that will create shapefiles that show raster coverage? I have some older scripts I use to run but they will not work for ARC 10.

Thanks

Eric
Tags (2)
8 Replies
EricHolbus
New Contributor
I am pleased to inform you that a new version of Create Raster Index Shapefile for ArcGIS has been released today. 

Although I do not have ArcGIS 10 yet, ESRI contacted me and updated the script to work with ArcGIS 10.  I know a lot of you have been waiting for this update!

The new version contains installation files and instructions for both ArcGIS 9.x and 10.

Here is the download link -- http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/arcobjects-net-api/details?entryID=C6173426-1422-2418-343F-...
0 Kudos
Raphael_Augusto_FoscariniFerre
Occasional Contributor

The link is not working.

Is tere any other place i can get it?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III
0 Kudos
DanielRodriguez
New Contributor
I am pleased to inform you that a new version of Create Raster Index Shapefile for ArcGIS has been released today. 

Although I do not have ArcGIS 10 yet, ESRI contacted me and updated the script to work with ArcGIS 10.  I know a lot of you have been waiting for this update!

The new version contains installation files and instructions for both ArcGIS 9.x and 10.

Here is the download link -- http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/arcobjects-net-api/details?entryID=C6173426-1422-2418-343F-...

Question has anybody had issues loading the new version of Create Raster Index Shapefile for ArcGIS 10? I am having issues loading the tlb file in the add file command. I am receving the
message "No new objects added" Is this a 10 issue?

Thanks

Dan
0 Kudos
PauReguant
New Contributor
Hi,

I've been using this script and I've got always horizontal and squared extents, even if my raster has a rotation angle and it doesn't fit this geometry.

Is there any way to create this shapefile using rotation angles? Are there other scripts that could do that?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
ChrisTrice
New Contributor II
Question has anybody had issues loading the new version of Create Raster Index Shapefile for ArcGIS 10? I am having issues loading the tlb file in the add file command. I am receving the
message "No new objects added" Is this a 10 issue?

Thanks

Dan

I had similar issues, make sure that the "ImageDatabase.dll" file isn't also in your Bin directory.  I created a new folder named "C:\Program Files\Create Raster Index" and copy and pasted the .dll, .pdb, and .tlb files into this directory.  Everything worked from then on.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi,

I've been using this script and I've got always horizontal and squared extents, even if my raster has a rotation angle and it doesn't fit this geometry.

Is there any way to create this shapefile using rotation angles? Are there other scripts that could do that?

Thank you.

This sample tool, "creates a polygon index shapefile from raster extent boundaries", meaning it doesn't care about the radiometry.  If you want a footprint of the real pixels instead of just a box, you can create a Mosaic Dataset and build footprints by radiometry.  Here is a link with some graphics.

Mosaic Dataset Footprints

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
GaryWalter3
New Contributor
It would be nice if ESRI would include the source code with the download so it could be updated for current ArcGIS versions, improved, etc.
0 Kudos