Create Map Tile Package - Can't Set Required Description

08-28-2014 04:20 AM
KenBragg1
New Contributor

Hi all

In ArcGIS 10.2 I'm trying to use the GP tool "Create Map Tile Package" or similarly with ArcPy arcpy.CreateMapTilePackage_management()

in either case it errors with:

Map description property must be set

Failed to execute (CreateMapTilePackage).

I don't see how or where to set the description in either the tool or with the python syntax given:

CreateMapTilePackage_management (in_map, service_type, output_file, format_type, level_of_detail, {service_file}, {summary}, {tags})

This works just fine in ArcMap using the menu - File > Share As > Tile Package because I can enter the required description field in the dialog.

Here is the syntax I tried in ArcPy:

elevation_mxd = "C:\\sub\\elevation.mxd"

elevation_tpk = "C:\\sub\\elevation.tpk"

# Process: Create Map Tile Package

arcpy.CreateMapTilePackage_management(elevation_mxd, "ONLINE", elevation_tpk, "PNG", "3", "", "summary", "tag tag2")

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ken,

You will need to use the arcpy.mapping module and update the description using the MapDocument object.  Here is an example:

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r"C:\temp\python\Airports.mxd")

mxd.description = "Philadelphia Airports"

mxd.save()

You should then be able to successfully create your map tile package.

KenBragg1
New Contributor

Thanks very much Jake, that did the trick.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you get a chance, be sure to mark this thread as answered to help other users in the community.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
PingYang
New Contributor II

Hi Jake,

I fortunately found this topic but I got an issue while I count not save the map description which I got an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 254, in run_nodebug

File "C:\DEV\CWPP\TileMap.py", line 23, in <module>

College_station_mxd.save()

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\ArcPy\arcpy\utils.py", line 182, in fn_

return fn(*args, **kw)

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\ArcPy\arcpy\_mapping.py", line 850, in save

return convertArcObjectToPythonObject(self._arc_object.save(*gp_fixargs((), True)))

IOError: MapDocObject: Unable to save.  Check to make sure you have write access to the specified file and that there is enough space on the storage device to hold your document.

I don't know how can solve this. Any idea?Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Ping,

Make sure the MXD is not open when you execute your code.

0 Kudos