Copy the shape features a number of times based on the numeric field

02-20-2021 09:31 PM
RIKAHARUYAMA
New Contributor II

Hello. I posted this question yesterday(<https://community.esri.com/t5/geoprocessing-questions/phython-script-typeerror-range-integer-end-arg...>) and thought it was solved, but there's another problem found...

I've run the module below. The empty feature class was created but there's no geometrical shapes created.

def main():
    import arcpy
    import os

fc_in = r"D:\forest\CHISAN\shp\test.gdb\PT_merge" # this one exists
    fld_count = "Count"
    fc_out = r"D:\forest\CHISAN\shp\test.gdb\PT_merge_duplicate" # this one will be created
    sr = arcpy.Describe(fc_in).spatialReference

# create the empty output featureclass
    path, name = os.path.split(fc_out)
    arcpy.CreateFeatureclass_management(path, name, "POLYGON", fc_in, "SAME_AS_TEMPLATE", "SAME_AS_TEMPLATE", sr)

# insert the features into the output fc
    with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(fc_in, '*') as curs_in:
        flds_in = curs_in.fields
        idx_cnt = flds_in.index(fld_count)
        with arcpy.da.InsertCursor(fc_out, '*') as curs_out:
            for row in curs_in:
                cnt = row[idx_cnt]
                for i in range(0,int(cnt)):
                    curs_out.insertRow(row)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

I think something is wrong with  "# insert the features into the output fc" part.

Would be very appreciated if someone could lectuer me how to solve this problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you got an error, provide it.  That will be the key.  Perhaps the fld_count field type is wrong?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RIKAHARUYAMA
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. The module run with no error code, but just the empty feature class was output,  which have the database multiplied a number of times based on the numeric field "Count". The database file has been created collectly without the geometrical shape feature 😞

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The original question in your previous post indicates the purpose of the script.

I have a point feature class with a Count field.  I want to copy each feature in the feature class a number of times based on the number in the Count field.  For example, if a feature has a Count value of 6, I want six new features created with all the same attributes as the original feature.

So... to confirm you have a point featureclass and you want to replicate each feature a certain number of times based on a Count field?

@XanderBakker produced a toolbox as well, perhaps you should look at that as well

... sort of retired...
RIKAHARUYAMA
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. I have a polygon feature instead of point feature, so  I changed the line below from "POINT" to "POLYGON".

arcpy.CreateFeatureclass_management(path, name, "POLYGON", fc_in, "SAME_AS_TEMPLATE", "SAME_AS_TEMPLATE", sr) 

Probably that's why the shape feature was not made..?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That would be the case, since it was designed for points

... sort of retired...