Convert older Tiger line files to shapefiles in ArcMap

12-19-2016 11:36 PM
BrentonPeterson
New Contributor

I am trying to create a shapefile of zip code boundaries using the 2002 tiger/line files available here:

Index of /geo/tiger/TIGER2002 

I am relatively inexperienced with GIS, but have come across a few solutions online.  The only one that appears specific to ArcGIS is a python script (Basic Tiger Conversion—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ).  However, when I attempt to run the script, I receive a runtime error:

Runtime error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\arc.py", line 1264, in TigerArc
    raise e
AttributeError: Object: Tool or environment <TigerArc_arc> not found

I am using ArcMap 10.2.2.  Is there an alternative way to convert these files to shapefiles in a straightforward way using ArcMap?  I would also be happy to hear suggestions regarding the error I receive, though I am not familiar at all with python.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It requires ArcGIS Advanced with ArcInfo Workstation installed... check the bottom of the help topoic

0 Kudos
BrentonPeterson
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Dan.  My current setup is ArcInfo (advanced, concurrent use).  But I guess I don't have ArcInfo Workstation?  I am honestly not familiar enough with the various flavors of ESRI products -- I am just using what my university gives me access to. 

Is there any alternative route to converting tiger line files?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would definitely look at the site to see if alternate formats are available.

0 Kudos
AndrewCooksey
New Contributor II

Has there been any development on this issue?  I have been trying to convert some 2000 census TIGER files for Urban Areas with no luck.  I am using ArcMap 10.4 and the Basic and Advanced TIGER Conversion tools are available in this version, but I keep getting a generic 999999 error "ERROR 999999: Error executing function.  Failed to execute (TigerTool)".  The guidance in the ESRI help is very generic and does not provide much in the way of specific examples.

0 Kudos