Combination point and line data

11-12-2013 04:49 AM
ErinKennedy
New Contributor
Hi,

I have polyline data with line segments for a pipe network and point data for the depths of the pipes at certain (deviant) points. I want to combine these two datasets into a new dataset. Any suggestions on how I can do this efficiently? I tried spatial join where the points and lines intersect, but because only some of the points lie precisely on a line segment, I got very few results. Spatial join by point closest to the line doesn't work for me either, because not every line segment has a point.

What I want is the depth attribute for each point to be added to the attribute table in the row of the closest line. How can I automate this?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Is your pipe data one line or multiple lines one for each depth?

You will have to break your pipe at the various depths.

You can snap your point to the edge of the pipes.

Try the Identity tool (if you have spatial analyst extension)

You can also do a join that shows you the distance to the nearest feature.

Are there a large number of depth values?

If there only a few (like 20 or so) select all the depths for say 10 feet.  Then do a Select by location and select all the pipes within 5 feet or so.  Here is would be better if you did the bulk snap and snapped all your points to a pipe.  then you could do the spatial join like you did and create a new feature class with the depths attached.

Hi,

I have polyline data with line segments for a pipe network and point data for the depths of the pipes at certain (deviant) points. I want to combine these two datasets into a new dataset. Any suggestions on how I can do this efficiently? I tried spatial join where the points and lines intersect, but because only some of the points lie precisely on a line segment, I got very few results. Spatial join by point closest to the line doesn't work for me either, because not every line segment has a point.

What I want is the depth attribute for each point to be added to the attribute table in the row of the closest line. How can I automate this?
0 Kudos