Select to view content in your preferred language

Census block or municipal voting district

07-06-2010 09:01 AM
JosephBui
New Contributor
I'm trying to find resources to convert a file of addresses into Census Block codes or, better yet, municipal election voting districts. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can do that?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
A spatial join joining the voting district to the address point file. This will give you a new point file with each point having the attributes of each address and of the voting district polygon it intersected.
0 Kudos
JosephBui
New Contributor
Thanks for responding. I'm not an ArcGIS user currently. Right now I have a few million addresses and I want to attach voting districts to them. I don't have coordinates for the addresses and I don't have shape files for the voting districts.

Does ArcGIS include the necessary data to process single addresses and batches of addresses? Do you have any additional advice?
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
If you have a shapefile with roads that have range attributes you can geocode the address from a table to make them points. You would have to have polygons of your voting districts to then add that data. The voting disctricts may be available from the local government and the addresses may already be geocoded by the local emergancy services for use with E911 systems. Census blocks can be obtained in shapefile format from the Census Bureau's TIGER website as well as from ESRI.
0 Kudos