Cannot Import XML workspace

06-19-2014 08:58 AM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III
I working with a SDE database with a feature dataset that has 6 or 7 feature classes that have documents attached to them via 'Attachments.' In order to periodically back-up the database, export it to the client and eventually move it to a new server. I am exporting the feature classes with 'Attachments' using the 'Export XML Workspace' and 'Import XML Workspace' tool in ArcToolbox to move them to a file geodatabase.

The feature classes that have a small number of attached documents are exporting and importing fine, however, one particular feature class has a large amount of attached documents. This feature exports fine but it will not let me import the feature class into a file geodatabase. I keep getting an error (see attachment to this post) stating that "Xml Parsing failed. Reason: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation."

Can someone clarify how I can resolve this issue? I have tried moving the file geodatabase to another drive with plenty of storage. Furthermore, the feature class with the attachments is not even close to 1GB yet but it, along with the others, will continue to grow, which is why I need to resolve this issue now.

Thanks,

Desktop version 10.1
Windows 7
0 Kudos
5 Replies
markdenil
Using xml to copy large and complex data sets is not recommended by Esri.
The Help entry "Copying a geodatabase using geodatabase XML workspaces"  notes:
<quote> The resulting geodatabase XML document can be huge when you copy both the data as well as the schema. Generally, this alternative is not recommended for copying geodatabase data. Alternatives for making a geodatabase copy include the use of the Copy tool and the Extract Data Wizard in ArcMap to copy subsets of the information. <unquote>

Exporting to xml depends on how well the workspace contents render into xml by Arc, which is expecting arc-type objects.
Things it cannot handle (BLOBS like attachments) get stored as XMLPersistedObjects, which are, I imagine, a bit unwieldy.
0 Kudos
chadhickman
Using xml to copy large and complex data sets is not recommended by Esri.
The Help entry "Copying a geodatabase using geodatabase XML workspaces"  notes:
<quote> The resulting geodatabase XML document can be huge when you copy both the data as well as the schema. Generally, this alternative is not recommended for copying geodatabase data. Alternatives for making a geodatabase copy include the use of the Copy tool and the Extract Data Wizard in ArcMap to copy subsets of the information. <unquote>

Exporting to xml depends on how well the workspace contents render into xml by Arc, which is expecting arc-type objects.
Things it cannot handle (BLOBS like attachments) get stored as XMLPersistedObjects, which are, I imagine, a bit unwieldy.

So what is the ESRI recommended method of copying large and complex datasets?
0 Kudos
markdenil
The Copy tool is the primary method.

Try reading: Help > Geodata > Geodatabases > Copying geodatabases
0 Kudos
chadhickman
The Copy tool is the primary method.

Try reading: Help > Geodata > Geodatabases > Copying geodatabases

This does not work with attachments, which is why I am using the import/export xml method.
0 Kudos
RaymondBoswell
New Contributor II

Did you happen to find a solution to the import XML issue you were having?  I am attempting to do the same thing and keep receiving the same results.

thanks . . . Ray

0 Kudos