Can ModelBuilder run tools in a specific order

09-07-2012 09:28 AM
MichaelMunson
New Contributor
I'm wanting to have ModelBuilder shaddow my use of multiple ArcTools, and create a Model of my sequencial steps (and file references), such that I can use the Model to replicate those steps. I cannot find the way to initiate the shaddowing feature, if it even exists. I'm using 10.1, License Type: Basic. (I thought I had ArcInfo license prior to upgrade to 10.1).
0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
This is a question for the geoprocessing forum, but I'll go ahead and try to answer it here.

ModelBuilder run order is controlled by the processing chain of inputs and outputs. For example, if you connect the output of one tool as input into another tool, the tools will run in the proper order.

In situations where there is some ambiguity as to the tool run order, you can use "preconditions" to control the sequence. This is described in the help - just search for "precondition".

As for your licensing question, that's a question for the ArcGIS Desktop - Installation/Configuration forum. Your license level should not be modified by an update from 10.0 to 10.1.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
MichaelMunson
New Contributor
Thanks. I wasn't sure which forum to start with.

I've set the ArcTools in sequence in MB and had some success. The precondition aspect is something I hadn't understood; I'll work with it, and spend some time in the GP forum.

Licensing issue resolved itself, finding that someone dropped the license manager for three hours to reconfigure something. Left a bunch of us wondering what hit us. I'm running advanced version again, far from using it to it's potential but enjoying the learning curve. Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos